Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Electric Flight Basics



I fly electric power exclusively. I enjoy the convenience, the cleanliness, the total lack of messing around with a mixture or trying to start a balky engine, the quiet, the throttle response... there's a lot to like.

My Dad is an electrician, so it's embarrassing to say that I JUST BARELY HAVE A GRASP OF HOW ELECTRIC POWER WORKS. Lack of knowledge hasn't ever stopped me before, so on I plunge.

You can't go wrong with a Blue Wonder motor, a 10 amp speed controller, an 8x4 prop with prop saver, cheap 9 gram servos (only had 1 fail ever after two years, out of at least 20), an Orange Rx, and a 500-1000 milliamp battery (20 C, 3 Cell). Most of what I fly uses this setup.

I buy from Hobbypartz.com or Hobby King. Here's a list from Hobby King:

hexTronic 24 gram motor in 1500kv ($8.53)
Hobby King 15-18 Amp Speed Controller, which is overkill, but cheaper than a 10 amp ($6.50)* OR
Turnigy Plush 12 Amp Speed Controller ($10.01)
8x3.8 Prop ($2.79 for 5 of them)
800 mah battery ($6.32)
9 gram servos ($1.99)
Orange Rx 6 Channel ($5.89)

Most of this can be had from Hobbyking's US warehouse.

A great primer on electric flight, which includes a formula for judging how many watts you should have versus how much your model weighs, can be had for free from Model Airplane News. Click on this link.

* * *

*I've had one of these fail, though

Image: No rights reserved... I hereby release it into the public domain

No comments:

Post a Comment