Monday, September 2, 2013

The Cheap N Easy by Rcrich

I built this foamy to test its feasibility as a trainer. I am thrilled with the results.



What do I love about it?

  • This thing can fly SLOW.
  • It's easy to slap together. Build it like Goldguy's Nutball... the only real complication is the prop-and-slot pusher motor configuration.
  • It's a Rudder, Elevator Throttle style plane that can do axial rolls.
  • It's a larger plane but it still uses the standard Blue Wonder motor, 1000 mah battery and 9 gram servos that EVERY Flitetest aficionado already owns.
  • It is STABLE. The Cheap N Easy wants to fly straight and level. I flew mine in high wind with no problems.
  • It will hover even on a calm day. You can land it straight down if you get your high-alpha angle correct.
  • It literally turns in place.



Here are some points to consider:

1. Rcrich has us balance the plane at the back edge of the prop slot. This is fine for experienced pilots, but I suspect that a beginner will want a more forward CG... perhaps in the middle of the slot, or at the front.

2. The large control surfaces can make the plane squirrely if you don't tame them with exponential. I have 60% expo on the elevator. Of course you could just reduce the throw, but what fun is that?

3. I've used bamboo skewers as pushrods. Take pieces of wire and heat shrink them to the ends. I like to add a dab of CA to the end for added insurance.

4. I've also rubbed Minwax Oil Based Polyurethane into my plane with a paper towel. First I taped all the control surfaces, then I added colored sealing tape, and finally I minwaxed it. I'm very pleased with the results. It's a durable finish and it adds a lot of strength.

5. I wonder if the Cheap N Easy could be included with the swappable series? It flies like an extra stable Nutball, and I think might make a decent first plane.


Links:

My video really doesn't do the Cheap N Easy justice. To watch its designer put it through its paces follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVe_gbxG6aM

Time to build your own! Check out the plans at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1261273&page=2

No comments:

Post a Comment