Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Desert Island Foamy: The Project Flight Design Delta Wing

Every time I build a plane I swear it's my favorite, but this thing might actually be my favorite. It's the Delta Wing by Project Flight Design. The young man who designed it went through 5 or so prototypes before he settled on the perfect dimensions, and let me tell you, this thing is perfect.



What a sweet flier! Fast when you want it to be fast, slow when you want it to be slow... it tracks straight and has a very gentle stall; doesn't fall off and barely sinks. It turns tight; really tight. My favorite thing to do is to fly it up almost too high to see, dive directly down with the throttle cut, and glide it in for a soft landing.

It flies just like the Pop Wings you see on Nitro Planes, but the airframe cost about $4.50 to build.

I built mine completely out of dollar tree foam. I doubled up on peeled foam for the step (3 thicknesses total, and no paper on the step) and covered it with packing tape. I have a Turnigy 1450 Kv motor on one of Dad's Indestructible Motor Mounts, and power it with a 1350 Mah 3 cell battery. Some 9 gram servos, a 30 amp Red Brick speed control, and an Orange Rx receiver ($6!!!) complete the electronics.

At 14 ounces I thought it was going to be porky, but with the throttle off it flies like a slope soarer.

I like the tractor configuration; I don't know why you would want a pusher on one of these type of wings unless you are doing FPV. Maybe there are good reasons.

Check out the build video here.

He has a pusher variant at Flitetest.

The more observant among you will realize that this completely trashes my build schedule. Ah well...

No comments:

Post a Comment